Current:Home > MyHome Depot founder Bernard Marcus, Trump supporter and Republican megadonor, has died -Capitatum
Home Depot founder Bernard Marcus, Trump supporter and Republican megadonor, has died
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 05:12:45
Bernard “Bernie” Marcus, the billionaire co-founder of Home Depot who has been an ardent supporter of former President Donald Trump for years, has died, the chain announced Tuesday.
He was 95.
Marcus, whom Forbes has previously listed as the richest man in Georgia, became wealthy after he and Arthur Blank opened the first two Home Depot stores in 1979 in Atlanta. The hardware store chain defined by its orange theme has since grown to 2,300 locations in North America with nearly half-a-million employees.
In 2022, Marcus penned a memoir, “Kick Up Some Dust: Lessons on Thinking Big, Giving Back, and Doing It Yourself,” with a foreword by Pitbull that chronicles the building of the world’s largest home improvement retailer by the son of a cabinet maker who was fired at age 49.
Marcus was also a Republican party megadonor who has supported Trump's election bids since 2016, as well as Trump-backed candidates.
"Bernie was an inspiration in many ways. He was a master merchant and a genius with customer service," Home Depot said in a statement. "He loved our customers. He also loved the associates who made the company what it is today."
Businessman dies:Waffle House CEO Walt Ehmer dies at 58 after a long illness
Marcus founded Home Depot with Arthur Blank
Born in 1929 to Russian Jewish immigrants, Marcus grew up in a tenement of Newark, New Jersey, according to Home Depot.
After attending pharmacy school at Rutgers Universitiy, Marcus "worked his way up the corporate ladder" at various chains before becoming chairman and president of Handy Dan Improvement Centers in 1972, where he met Blank.
Marcus and Blank for years had a vision of a one-stop shop for do-it-yourself projects that was bigger than a traditional hardware store. And after they were fired in 1978 from Handy Dan, they secured financing from investment banker Ken Langone to make it happen.
The following year, the first Home Depot stores opened. Marcus was Home Depot’s CEO until 1997 and served as the company’s chairman until 2002 when he retired.
A lifetime of philanthropy
A longtime philanthropist, Marcus established several charitable organizations and gave to many causes throughout his life.
Jared Powers, CEO of the Marcus Jewish Community Center of Atlanta, called Marcus "a visionary philanthropist, devoted community leader, and beloved friend to our agency and the entire Jewish community" in a statement to USA TODAY.
"His legacy lives on in the spaces he helped create, the lives he impacted, and the community he strengthened," Powers said in the statement.
Another nonprofit named in his honor, the Marcus Foundation, will continue his legacy "with a focus on Jewish causes, children, medical research, free enterprise and the community," Home Depot said.
Bernie Marcus is longtime Trump, Republican backer
A longtime Republican, Marcus first supported Trump's election bid in 2016 before once again publicly endorsing the Republican while funding his 2020 reelection campaign.
In 2019, social media users called for a boycott of Home Depot following news that Marcus would be backing Trump's bid for a second term in the White House. The movement came after Marcus said in an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that while the then-president “sucks” at communication, his impact on employment and aggressive stances toward China and Iran had been positive.
Amid the backlash, Trump himself later came to Marcus' defense, calling him a "truly great, patriotic & charitable man" on Twitter, now X.
Home Depot itself has distanced itself from its co-founder's politics, issuing a statement at the time saying "as a standard practice, the company does not endorse Presidential candidates."
This article has been updated to add new information.
Contributing: Charisse Jones, USA TODAY
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Alabama Barker Responds to Claim She Allegedly Had A Lot of Cosmetic Surgery
- Trump’s legal debts top a half-billion dollars. Will he have to pay?
- Relive the 2004 People's Choice Awards: From Oprah Bringing Her Camcorder to Kaley Cuoco's Y2K Look
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- A year after Jimmy Carter’s entered hospice care, advocates hope his endurance drives awareness
- The CDC investigates a multistate E. coli outbreak linked to raw cheddar cheese
- This house made from rocks and recycled bottles is for sale. Zillow Gone Wild fans loved it
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Two's company, three's allowed in the dating show 'Couple to Throuple'
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 2 juveniles charged in Kansas City Chiefs parade shooting, court says
- The Daily Money: Now might be a good time to rent
- Trump’s legal debts top a half-billion dollars. Will he have to pay?
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- 30 cremated remains, woman's body found at rental of Colorado funeral home director
- Wholesale prices rose in January, signaling more inflation woes for American consumers
- Women's NCAA tournament and Caitlin Clark will outshine the men in March
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Driver of stolen tow truck smashes police cruisers during Maryland chase
Chinese electric carmakers are taking on Europeans on their own turf — and succeeding
Texas will build camp for National Guard members in border city of Eagle Pass
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
How long will the solar eclipse darkness last in your city? Explore these interactive maps.
Jury awards $10 million to man who was wrongly convicted of murder
New Jersey district settles sex abuse lawsuit involving former teacher for $6 million